Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I'm coaching a Track Team!



Hi Guys!

Hope you all have had a great week so far :)

As the title of this blog suggests, I've had an incredible opportunity arise within the local school district this spring. During the week I usually work in a couple different schools teaching music, art, and sometimes drama technique.
Well this year, just before winter break I was approached by our Learning Director if I'd be interested in coaching.  First she asked if I played any sports... to which I made a funny noise and laughed.  No, I do not play sports, but I do run!
Well, I guess that was a perfect answer because with the next breath she invited me to be part of the school's track staff! At first I was a little hesitant because I've never done anything like that before.  I didn't even have very much experience working with coaches themselves! After a week or so, I had come to the conclusion of Why Not?  I knew what I do to get myself trained, although maybe slightly modified, it would be the same for these kids.
I accepted! :)

I've spent the last few weeks watching training videos and trying to remember all the drills and events I participated in while in Track during High School.  It was very unsettling realizing how many years had passed since then... *shudder*

We started this week and it's been going really well!  I actually got some feedback from parents that the kids had invited friends to join because it "was so much fun!!" How cool!
One thing that I've noticed while teaching my particular subjects is that if you can make the content relatable, they tend to pay attention more.  For instance, yesterday in class I dropped an F word.

*gasp*

You said what?!?

yup.

I said FACEBOOK!

I'm telling you, if you're in a noisy class you can't get the attention of, just start a sentence with the words... "So I was on facebook this morning..." and SNAP! All eyes on you!

Anyway... :) In the workouts, I try to use language that they'll remember for each drill.  I have a work out that I do with Tone It Up that's labelled "Wild Child".  It  involves all kinds of jumping around and being, well... wild! So I used it on my kids this week and they remember which drills go in that work out because of it!
They also love doing Booty Kicks and I nicknamed a type of ab drill the "Spiderman tucks" - it involves a push up position and lifting knees to either side like spiderman does when scaling a tall building.

It's definitely going to be a challenge over the next few weeks to get them in shape and in gear for different events.  Like I hinted at before, I've been out of the Track & Field scene for quite some time.  I have to make sure technique and form are right on events I don't have a lot of experience with as well.  But I have to tell you, this week has been fun.  I'm glad I signed on to it and if I can get kids excited about running and being in a sport that involves constant daily training, it makes me feel like I've made a difference.  You never know you you're affecting.

I'll keep you posted on how far we get in the season.  The first meet is in about 3 weeks and after that it's all about who continues to qualify.  We'll See!



No comments:

Post a Comment