Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Piece of Humble Pie? Why Not...

Throughout my life, when it comes to athletics, I've been pretty quick to pick up new skills... Not saying I have them perfected right away, but I at least pick up the gist of them... Today while in the pool, Coach introduced us to a new way of kicking; it's called the "2-beat kick".  This is supposed to be extremely helpful for our tri.  WHY?  By utilizing the 2-beat kick, you save a bunch of energy, and you save your legs for the other 2/3 of the race (cycling and running).  The basic idea is that instead of "flutter kicking", or kicking however you want, with the 2-beat kick, you only kick when your hand enters the water... oh, and it's supposed to be opposite hand/leg... I tried so hard to get it down.. really, I did, but something just didn't click.  I was getting very frustrated because I couldn't figure it out!  Towards the end of my workout, I started being able to slow my kick down, but I was stuck on same arm/same leg... not opposite (thank you basketball).  This is not a normal feeling for me.  I mean, it wasn't even pretty... I'm not going to let this get me down, or stop me, but I am going to allow it to DRIVE ME... I'm going to work my "tail" off to get this down... I want to perform my race to the best of my ability, using the energy I have, most effectively, and mastering the 2-beat kick(or at least figuring it out)... I'll keep you updated.
Here's to swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment